Hawthorn’s seasonal reminders. Bi-monthly gardening tips for the months of June and July
Looking good in the garden now
- Continue to mow every 7 – 10 days.
- Weeds such as Dandelions and Daisies can be controlled with Weed & Feed product, or, to be more environmentally friendly, invest in a Dutch Hoe and remove manually.
- Spade edge beds.
PLANTED BEDS AND POTS
- Keep Plants watered and apply well balanced fertiliser every 4 – 6 weeks. Remember, potassium will encourage more flowers.
- Early flowering shrubs should be pruned now.
- Plant out summer bedding now into well prepared beds.
- Control of weeds by mowing or by Dutch hoe.
- Sow summer bedding now.
- Stake tall growing perennials.
- Remove suckers from trees.
- Plant Basil seeds.
- Ventilate glass house to prevent Botrytis and scorch.
- As the temperature rises, watch for Green Fly. Green Fly can be controlled with a Nematode or an organic substitute.
- Water well.
- Continue to water.
- Liquid feed every six weeks.